Friday, October 21, 2011

Jobs...

Ever since I've been back from my honeymoon I've been job searching. For me, this is something very much out of my comfort zone. I'm not huge on talking about myself especially in ways that I feel is almost bragging. The idea behind this is basically trying to sell yourself to a company. Which is just awkward.

Applying for and interviewing for jobs seems so weird to me. I understand that you have to try and give the potential employer your skills and history and a taste of who you are. But it all seems so meaningless. I can't tell you in fifteen minutes, a half hour, or even a whole day who I am. Why you should hire me? You have to see it for yourself. I could say all kinds of things to trick someone into hiring me and totally be lying. Not that I do. But I could. It all seems so ridiculous.

Plus, in this technological age (and this is coming from a computer nerd!) my application and resume get lost in a sea of others. A piece of paper with my skills on it. It's people judging me on what I have accomplished and what I know rather than who I am and what I can do in the future. It messes with my brain and I have to try REALLY hard to remember that my identity is not in the job I have or what these potential employers think of me. That isn't where my worth is. But how hard is it to not think that when you're basically giving someone a rundown of your personality and skills and asking them to tell you if you're good enough. Absurd!

Even though the whole process is foreign to me and this is the first time I've had to do it I have obtained a job! On the 31st I start down at Elks Rehab as a medical scanner. I'm excited to be doing something new. In all honesty, I'm excited to be doing anything at all. I've been so bored. It will be part time and temporary, but I'm excited just to get my foot in the door.

I have a hard time finding value in the processing part of life. I like results. So this time of not working has been hard for me... for the reasons I mentioned above and just trying to be patient. Not to mention the fact that I'm a workaholic. But I have learned quite a bit. I'm excited to see what's in store for me :)

1 comment:

- Kailene said...

Congratulations, Christina! I'm excited for you! It may not be what you want exactly, but it's getting you SOMEWHERE. Definitely a good start. :) Yes... processing all the "stuff" of life is sometimes strange and not very fun... but it's all a part of the process of growing and learning. :)