Thursday, May 28, 2009

lies

This is something I have been thinking of as of late. I mean, obviously it is usually bad to lie. Up until about a year ago or so I would not have included the word "usually" in my last statement. The Bible tells us not to lie. Our parents and teachers drill it into us. I have never been a fan of lying. I mean, it usually just gets you into more trouble, you have to keep your story straight, it leads to more lying, and hides who you really are or what you really want. I strive to always tell the truth. However, I have been thinking lately that sometimes it's easier to lie. I mean, lots of people think this... but i'm not talking about stupid little lies. I talking about lying to yourself mostly. Believing something that isn't necessarily true in order to avoid pain. Because if you chose to face the truth... it wouldn't change reality and would only bring pain. I mean, is it better to know the truth and be miserable or to tell yourself something isn't true in order to be happy. I don't know. I can't answer that. But it does have me thinking. Also, what about lies of omission. Is it better to keep something from someone if you know it will hurt them, or is it better to tell them? Would I rather know the truth and suffer or be blissfully naive? I just don't know... maybe it's one of those questions that can't be answered... or has to be answered on a case by case basis.
My example for this would be from New Moon. Take for example Bella and Jacob's relationship. Jacob is head over heels in love with Bella. Bella loves Jake, but not in the right way, not enough, not the way he deserves. Should Bella lie to Jacob and tell him she has no feelings for him? I mean, even if she tells him how she feels, that she does indeed love him in some capacity, it doesn't change the fact that she doesn't want to be with him. Would Jake rather know she cares, or would that just make it hurt more... There's the lying by omission example. Here's the lying to self example: When Edward comes back and is telling her he loves her. She at first doesn't believe him... she's lying to herself to save herself from pain. Even if he did love her, he would still leave again, that's supposedly why he left the first time. So, it's easier for her to believe that he doesn't love her. Is it better that way? it save her from pain. but it isn't true. And what you feel doesn't change reality of actions.
A lot of the time emotions don't line up with reality. Just because you feel that way, doesn't make it true. however, on the flip side, reality also usually doesn't change your emotions. Just because it's illogical to feel a certain way doesn't mean you don't feel that way or that you can help from feeling that way. Our emotions often have a mind of their own.
So, which should win out reality or emotions? which is the bigger truth? or can truth only be found when the two match up? it's all so confusing... and frustrating!

No comments: